Monday 1 August 2016

Cold Smoke Generator

Cold smoking requires little more than a cardboard box and a way to generate cold smoke. The idea is to be able to expose your cured bacon, salmon or other delicacy to smoke without any heat being added.

I have made a couple of different cold smoke generators and having pulled different ideas together would recommend following the sketch below. this allows the most flexibility between free standing or clipping onto the side of you smoker box (you would need a wooden or steel cabinet for this).





As far as materials of construction; Stainless steel is first prize but is expensive. Mild steel is perfectly alright. You can also use copper in the construction. Stay clear of galvanised (Zinc coated) materials for any of it as this can be poisonous.

You need a source of pressurised air connected onto the thin inner tube. The air blowing out the end of the inner pipe causes a venturi suction and pulls air up through your smoldering wood chips and blows the cool smoke out the front.





Having tried both a large compressor at one extreme and a basic fish pond air pump on the other. The fish pond pump is SIGNIFICANTLY better. I was hesitant at first and thought it wouldn't supply enough air flow however in practice still had to slow the pump down as it produced too much air flow.

Another option is a simple T piece on top of the unit out of copper pipe as per the photo below. I used this successfully on some of my units built. You can see the inner pipe on this too. made of thinner copper tube. Don't get too caught up in exact measurements. I have found that anything close to the scale above that looks right is bound to work.









Another basic tin option:


Connection to a compressor is not even effective when throttling the air with a ball valve. You can use a compressor as per the photo below to generate a huge amount of smoke. This is however completely unnecessary and also has the disadvantage that you burn lots of wood chips and generate a huge amount of tannin / creosote which are bitter from the high temperature of the wood burning.



My current setup - based on the operational principle of the diagram at the beginning of this post is as follows with a basic cardboard box smoking cabinet:







Below is a video with the smoke generator running as I use it (fairly well turned down):





You don't need anything fancy as the smoking cabinet although I would like to build something that I can store outdoors to minimise setup and pack up time. here is an earlier smaller box:




Bacon on the go

Here is some added info on the wood chips I use. I use a lot of beech wood chips. they have a nice well balanced smoke flavour. these are what I use:

Here is a link to the GOLDSPAN site where they have some interesting information on humidity etc. in your smoking chamber. I need to play with humidity a bit I think
beech smoking chips

close up showing chip size - perfect




13 comments:

  1. I built something similar to your design this weekend using an air pump sized for a 20gal aquarium. But it just doesn't seem to move enough air. Any idea how much air your pump moves or what size aquarium it would be good for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wildbill. This is a pretty standard off the shelf aquarium pump for what I woudl expect to be a medium size aquarium (I must admit I am not aquarium or fish tank expert). on the inner tube, make sure it is well past the opening in the outer pipe and also not too close to the front. what is the size of the inner and outer tubes? also, consider closing the tip of your inner tube a little to create a bit of a nozzle. This should increase the velocity of the air which in turn should help to pull more with the venturi effect. Another influencing factor is the hole size at the base of the main chamber. you are welcome to send me some photo's so I can see what it could be ( rossabear(at)gmail.com ). I have run mine off an industrial compressor with an abundance of air, the overall effect is surprisingly not much different. Cheers, Ross

      Delete
  2. Question about humidity of the wooden chips.
    I builded an csg with your guide, and smoked a bit for testing.
    Now after smoking three times, it seems there is a lot of juice coming out of the bottom of the pipe.
    It looks a bit like tar.
    I suppose this has to do with the humidity of the beech chips i bought in a petshop.
    These chips are usualy used for rabbit cages, but seem to be good for smoking in a csg.

    Will humidity have to do something with the juice and the bad glowing of the chips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - No, this has nothing to do with humidity or moisture in general. This is creosote which is in the wood. burning at a low(ish) temperature, this condenses in the system. This I have found is quite normal and isn't something that has ever negatively affected my smoking. just don't get it on anything you don't want stained. it doesn't clean off easily.

      Delete
  3. Very helpfull, thanks.
    I allready thought to have wrong chips or something wrong in construction.
    I suggest it also has nothing to do with the aitflow.
    I will go on trying to fix it in a way with less creosoot, and hope to smoke my first cheese and maybe bacon in a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck. I hope you enjoy your smoking

      Delete
  4. Thanks Ross.
    I do enjoy the making of.
    I did allready smoke some cheese and a little block of bacon.
    They were both smelling a bit bitter.
    Now i made a exansion bottle between the exhaust of the smoker and inlet of the smokehouse.
    Only did some testruns in this configuration, and most of the times the glow dies at 3/4 of the chips.
    My pipe is stainles, 70 mm diameter and about 40 cm high.
    Can it have to do something with humidity?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you mean humidity in the air - I doubt it. If you are referring to moisture in the wood chips, possible but they should be properly dry if they are chips. A bitter taste could be from the wood type (are you sure they are pure beech and not a soft wood). It could also be because the wood isn't getting burnt well, maybe increase the air flow and open up the inlet hole to let more air into the wood to burn cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did mean the moisture in the chips.
    The chips was sold like 100% beech for rabbit cages.
    For example this site,
    https://www.puik.nl/nl/product/28/puik-original-beukenhoutsnippers.html

    Your last part of reply did open my eyes a little.
    If burning well, i closed the inlet for 1/2.
    I will give it a try again with open air inlet, and incrasinf airflow of the pump.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I will give it a try again with open air inlet, and incrasinf airflow of the pump."
    I mean increase airflow of the pump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect. I hope this works for you. looking at the pet shop wood chips, are you using the bigger wood chips (10mm)? I think bigger ones will work much better than the smaller ones.

      Delete
  8. I am using the 8mm chips.
    Today i found that there is some difference between 8 mm and 8mm.
    The 5 kg bag i bought had a lot of smaller chips.
    Now i bought another brand, and in first sight they look more the same size.

    We keep on trying.

    ReplyDelete